Home Play Support Products Blog Volunteer

The "Ignore" Feature

Hey Lifeboaters!

Our forum has just been updated to the most recent Discourse version. This includes a couple new features, but the main one - the one I’m going to be talking about - is the new Ignore feature.

Where can I find this feature?

The feature can be found under Preferences -> Users -> Ignored and looks like this:

Screenshot%20(219)

It can also be found on the user’s profile, just click the “Normal” button and switch it to “Ignored” - it looks like this:

Screenshot%20(221)

*Note that moderators and admins cannot be ignored.

What does it do?

Similar to a block feature on other sites, when you ignore someone, their posts (not replies or quotes) will be hidden from you. Instead of their posts, you’ll see a line of text saying “1 hidden post” or whatever number of blocked posts there are. The line can be clicked to expand into the blocked user’s post. Notifications relating to them will also be suppressed.

Proper Usage - Important!

Do not use the Ignore feature on someone every time you have a minor disagreement. Ignoring should be a last resort, when you know you can’t work things out with the user in question. Don’t use it unless there’s no option left.

Why? Because Ignoring doesn’t solve the problem - it just puts a Band-Aid on it by forcing the users involved to ignore each other. A much better solution is to talk things out and try to reach a resolution together. If you believe the user is a forum-wide problem, you should first try to get a moderator to deal with them. Additionally, Ignoring can fragment conversations because parts of it will be hidden to some users but not others.

Use your new feature wisely, and Happy Lifeboating :sailboat:!

13 Likes

For got sakes, make a block feature on forums
How to Be a Good Community Member

Other features included in this round of Discourse updates:

• You can now delete your own topics if and only if it has no replies. It takes 24 hours to fully delete, in which time you can retract the deletion.

• Mobile user cards are now added - similar to PC user cards, but more suited to small screens.

• Updated groups page, though we currently have no public groups.

• A couple admin-side changes to the flag/review system.

7 Likes

pinned globally #3
0 Likes

why can’t i ignore mods

2 Likes

cuz ur not meant to ignore penguin (⟃ ͜ʖ ⟄)

0 Likes

Ignores Penguin

jk

0 Likes

do u do ignore

0 Likes

no…

0 Likes

Lets ignore @Annoying_Villager

0 Likes

Let’s ignore @smartypig38

0 Likes

This ignore feature is a nice update.

0 Likes

Is there a way where u can click a person message to see what he/she typed?

0 Likes

ignores trump

0 Likes

no there isn"t

0 Likes

Can there be a feature where u can CLICK ignored messages?

0 Likes

0 Likes

Well can there be a way where when u see ignored messages, u click to see what they wrote?

0 Likes

Correction, just tested and it doesn’t actually show the full content. Not sure why it does that, Discourse might have changed it or I just read the documentation wrong. Sorry guys, but if you really want to read their posts, maybe don’t block them.

2 Likes

It’s ok, maybe you can add a button to see their hidden Content! Nice job though

0 Likes

Thank you for adding this feature, @Penguin. I appreciate it.

0 Likes